Pages


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

No Santa Claus in this home, sorry...

Last night, as I was tucking Arthur into bed, he asked me to pray with him…

It was really sweet because at the end he said:
Before I say Amen Lord, I want to sing you a song…

He sang his song saying he was sad that he could not see the Lord but that He’ll continue praying hoping that one day he’ll sit next to him.
I was profoundly touched of how genuine Arthur’s feelings were. And before I kissed him good night I told him that I was really proud of the young man he is becoming.

Then he asked me this question, you think he’ll like my song enough that Santa will come in our home this year?
Last year, I told the kids that Santa would not be coming over and I told them that it would be the same case this year.

In a bit more than a month it will be Christmas… And as a Christian, I am trying to find ways to explain to the kids what the true meaning of Christmas is…
We have never celebrated Santa Claus at home, simply because I don’t want Christmas to be about him (Oh dear!!!! I can know hear the judgmental opinion of everyone – but I’m ok with it).

My Other Half and I agreed not to tell them the truth about Santa just yet, and just to stay vague on it. We’ll simply tell the kids that Santa doesn’t come to our home as he goes to the families that need him more…
But I can’t prevent the other kids to be talking about Santa at school and I had to give a careful thought to how I would answer the dreaded question: who puts the gift under the Christmas tree then?

So this is how I have decided to explain it to the kids:

Dear Arthur and Morgane,

I know you are wondering who put the gifts under the Christmas tree every year and there is one simple answer to this: it’s me.

I am the person who chooses, wrapes, and places the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Dad helps, too.)

I imagine that someday you'll do this for your children, and I'm you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You'll love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

I could tell you Santa did this but I would be lying and I promised myself I would try never to do that.

Instead I’ll tell you that God has been good to our family and has helped Mommy and Daddy to find ways to put a few gifts for you guys under our tree.

You see, Jesus is bigger than any person or Saints like the one we call Santa Claus, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, your friends, your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you cannot measure or even hold in your hand. By this, I mean "love", this great power that will light your life from inside out, even during its darkest, hardest moments.

Jesus is a teacher, and I have been his student. The best lesson I’ve learned is that the most important thing during this time of the year is to love one another. Gifts or no gift, what we need to do is believe in Him and be grateful for all we have. In our home, there is no Santa going down the chimney, but a Mom and Dad who love you more than anything and with the Grace of God are able to provide for you a home, food, toys and a loving a family…

With full hearts, people like Dad and me take our turns to help Jesus do a job that would otherwise be impossible – by reminding everyone the true meaning of Christmas – the birth of our Savior and the reminder that up there someone loves us more than anyone else..

I love you and I always will.

Mommy
And this Mom will teach her children about God...



No comments:

Post a Comment