Pages


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Re-assessment time...

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way
to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work.
And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.
If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking, and don’t settle.
As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.

~
Steve Jobs

For me working has always given me an opportunity to shine, to gain credibility from external sources. I enjoy the positive recognition from people other than my family. Through the effort and dedication I invest.
At fifteen, I started working in a local restaurant. I was at the lowest level and I had to show that I was just as capable as the rest of the team. I jumped in, cautiously with experienced and season worn chefs, and I tolerated month’s worth of their rigorous initiations. Head down, bum up, grinding away despite the heat and the atmosphere.
I gradually acquired trust and respect from all these men in the brigade. A trust that was earned through hard work; a huge amount of pragmatism coupled with common sense. An “angelic” smile and the ability to roll my own cigarettes no doubt helped.

I worked in the restaurant for three years. Part time through school and during week-ends and holidays. I worked hard and, of course, played hard.

Recalling this first job, and reliving the sense of achievement I felt at gaining the respect of my colleagues through hard work, makes me realize that this aspect of my work ethic has not altered at all…
But lately, I have been feeling miserable at work. I've only been here 4 months and I can already tell you that I will not be staying that much longer... I have the feeling that I have been fooled and that my job really does not correspond to the job description I had received in the beginning...
Work hard. Fit in. Always do your best. Never ever gossip or take sides in a team. Be mindful of how your actions impact on others. Don't be afraid to shine for your hard work and achievements, but never take credit where it's not due. Be gracious with a smile regardless of environment. Respect the experience you are lucky to work with.
I am lucky to have met some amazing mentors through my journey.  Men and women that saw some potential in me that I couldn’t see in myself. I always knew I could and would work hard.
Now, I really miss the passion, and the cut and thrust of being really good at something. I miss the thrill of the negotiations, the thrill of the wins. The completions. I miss the life cycles of projects.

Time to start investigating what to do next...
I have been sending CVs, I really hope my dream job is out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment