Pages


Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm sorry too Arthur...



Welcome to my moments called "When Mommy screws up"! Please sit down and make yourself comfortable…
As parents, we get really upset when bullying happens to our kids, but, interestingly, we tolerate it in adult behavior. This morning I believe I pushed my 5 years old to the edge and deeply regret it.
What makes me think that? Let’s press the rewind button…
This morning, while I was getting dressed, I heard in the other room Arthur making fun of Morgane who had just spilled her breakfast on the floor. I went to where they were and told Arthur that I didn’t like his behavior and that I was really disappointed by his attitude.
This should have been enough right? Especially as I could see on his face that he was embarrassed that he got caught with this type of attitude going on.
But I didn’t stop there; I was so upset that I told him that the next time I would be the one having a laugh at him… He just stood there giving me a look… I then asked him why he was looking at me that way, and he suddenly lost it and yelled at me… He was clearly angry and hurt…
I didn’t have the time to react before other half (who had just gotten behind us) yelled on Arthur asking the little guy who he thought he was speaking to his mom that way… He got told off again…
Poor Arthur, I know what he did was wrong, making fun of his sister and then screaming back at me… But I also know that I pushed him too far… He was crying and he apologized to me and his sister for his bad behavior…
And this where I hope I managed to make things right on both side, I also apologized for threathning him… I told him I was sorry too… I promised I would not make fun of him later and I mostly apologized for my own childish behavior… I asked him to put himself in his little sister's shoes and understand that she already felt bad for spilling her food and that she didn't need playing with her nerves...
Before sending him to school I told him everything would be ok and that I love him and that’s why I was working hard to teach him to be kind and loving… He gave me a huge hug and said I love you back…
Kindness is the most valuable lesson we'll teach our children, because kindness is the thing we'll all remember above everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment